- WCB is again pleased to announce its recognition by Best Law Firms (published by U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers in America), as among the best in the nation in the areas of Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation (Defendants), and Trusts & Estates.
- More than one dozen of our attorneys are named to the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, one of the most respected peer-review attorney guides in the nation. The guide also recognized two Wright Close & Barger attorneys as Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch.
- Our firm finishes 2020 with five trial court victories for our clients and decisions in favor of our clients in more than fifteen appellate proceedings in state and federal courts. Click here to learn more.
- Super Lawyers® (published by Thomson Reuters) names two of our outstanding young lawyers to its list of "Rising Stars": Brian Cathey and Tasha Taylor.
- One of WCB’s former partners, Mike Choyke, joins the Texas Supreme Court as the clerk for Justice Rebecca A. Huddle. We wish Mike all the best in this new endeavor and thank him for his many years of outstanding service to the firm and dedication to our clients.
- For the third straight year, WCB is pleased to announce it has been named to the list of Best Law Firms in the nation by U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers in America. This respected annual listing is based on client reviews and evaluations by other attorneys. To learn more about the firm’s top-tier national ranking, click here.
- WCB is extremely honored to be named to the 2020 National Law Journal “Hot List” of firms practicing appellate law. Chosen from among all law firms in the nation, these firms “tackled novel issues and undoubtedly overcame unprecedented challenges over the past year, boasting high-profile and high stakes wins in the nation’s highest appellate courts across a number of practice areas.” To read more, click here.
- Seven firm attorneys are named to the 2020 list of Texas Super Lawyers. Among those honored, firm co-founder Thomas Wright, and partner Raffi Melkonian, who are both recognized as among the Top 100 Lawyers in Houston. No more than 5 percent of Texas attorneys are chosen for Super Lawyers each year. To learn more about the WCB attorneys selected to this list, click here.
- WCB is named a Champion of Justice by the Texas Access to Justice Commission in the categories of “Highest Amount Raised” and “Highest Percentage of Attorney Participation.” The TAJC was created by the Texas Supreme Court in 2001 and works to develop and implement initiatives designed to expand access to, and enhance the quality of, justice in civil legal matters for low-income Texans.
- Ten of WCB’s attorneys are featured in Best Lawyers® Spring 2020 edition of “Women in the Law.”
- Jim Marrow is nominated and elected to serve as the Chair-Elect for 2020-21 for the Houston Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Section. Jim previously served as the Section’s Secretary and as its Treasurer.
- Super Lawyers® (published by Thomson Reuters) names three of our outstanding young lawyers to its list of “Rising Stars”: Brian Cathey, Brad Snead, and Tasha Taylor.
- Wright Close & Barger is pleased to welcome three new attorneys to the firm.
- WCB starts off the year with three appellate wins in January. Over the past five years, our firm has achieved at least 10 appellate wins per year for our clients.
- We become Wright Close & Barger, adding partner Jessica Barger's name to our firm. Media outlets take note of this name change.
- Our firm earns recognition by U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC) as one of the top appellate and civil litigation firms in the country. This marks the fifth time the firm is named to this annual list.
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC) recognize us as among the best law firms in the country for our appellate work. Several of our lawyers are also recognized for their trial and appellate skills. Click here to learn more.
- Texas Super Lawyers® annual guide (published by Thomson Reuters) recognizes our attorneys for litigation, appellate and estate & trust litigation. Two of our appellate lawyers also earn Texas Rising Star honors.
- Our team wins $17 million reversal of jury verdict for contractor in Baylor bridge case. Click here to learn more.
- Brittany Greger and Jonathan Lehrmann join our team as associates.
- For the fourth year in a row, our team secures wins for our clients in at least ten appellate decisions.
- The American Law Institute elects founding partner, Tom Wright, to its membership.
- Texas Super Lawyers® (published by Thomson Reuters) names seven of our attorneys to the 2017 list. Click here to learn more.
- Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC) names us a “Tier 1” law firm in the categories of Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation–Defense, and Appellate Practice.
- Brian Cathey joins us as an associate, adding to our deep bench of talent.
- Our lawyers secure take-nothing judgment for insurance company clients when the Texas Supreme Court refuses to rehear a case. Click here to learn more.
- An appeals court win by our team remains intact and drastically reduces a jury award, saving our client about $2 million in a train derailment dispute. Click here to learn more.
- The firm secures take-nothing judgments after the Texas Supreme Court denies review in two of our firm’s cases, including one involving $22 million in damages. Click here to read more.
- The firm kicks off 2017 with another win in the Texas Supreme Court – in UDR Texas Properties v. Petrie– affirming protections for property owners from claims involving criminal activity on their premises. See the Our Appeals page for details.
- Tom Wright is quoted in Law360 about Texas legal fees legislation that would expand recoverable attorneys’ fees in commercial disputes. He is quoted in “Texas Bill May Fix Cos.' Unequal Footing In Atty Fee Fights” (subscription required).
- Our firm closes out 2016 with two favorable decisions from the Texas Supreme Court – Byrdson Services v. SETRPC and 4Front v. Rosales – issued on the same day. See the Our Appeals page for details.
- Our firm starts off the summer with back-to-back wins in the Texas Supreme Court – Centerpoint Builders v. Trussway and In re J.B. Hunt – followed up with a win in the 4th Court of Appeals reversing a $9.5 million judgment against our client. Check out the Our Appeals page for details.
- Firm partners Howard Close and Patrick McAndrew successfully represent a power company in a “baseball” arbitration concerning the sale of a $250 million power generation plant, in which our opponents sought damages of $125 million. Following the arbitration, the panel chooses our client's proffered damages figure, and finds our opponents are entitled to recover only one percent of the damages claimed.
- Firm partners Howard Close, Randy Owens, and Brad Snead successfully represent royalty interest owners in a large carbon dioxide fields in Colorado, in a lawsuit against ExxonMobil (the working interest owner). After a one-week trial, the jury finds ExxonMobil breached its duty of good faith and fair dealing by selling the CO2 at an artificially low price over several years.
- H Texas magazine names Tom Wright, Howard Close, Jessica Barger, Randy Owens, and Marie Jamison as outstanding Houston attorneys.
- Firm wins reversal of $22 million judgment and a take-nothing judgment for its client in an appeal of an oilfield accident case.
- Martindale-Hubbell names Randall Owens a “Top Rated Lawyer” in the field of Labor & Employment Law.
- Firm partner Raffi Melkonian is interviewed by Boston radio station WEEI (93.7FM) about the 2nd Circuit decision in the National Football League’s appeal from the reversal of Tom Brady’s suspension.
- Justin Campbell and Suzanne Goss join the firm as Of Counsel. Ken Fair joins the firm as a Partner.
- For the third year in a row, Firm named a “Tier 1 Best Law Firm” in the categories of Personal Injury Defense and Appellate Practice by Best Law Firms® (published by BL Rankings, LLC).
- Firm wins a dozen appeals in the first eight months of the year.
- Tasha Taylor and Raffi Melkonian are recognized by Law & Politics on its annual list of Texas Rising Stars®.
- Howard Close, Russ Hollenbeck, Randy Owens, and Tod Phillips are recognized as Texas Super Lawyers® – and Tom Wright is included as one of the Top 100 attorneys in Texas – on Law & Politics’ annual list, published by Thomson Reuters.
- Lisa Wright joins the firm as an associate.
- Firm again named as a Tier 1 “Best Law Firm” in categories of Personal Injury Defense and Appellate Practice, by Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC).
- Marie Jamison and Brad Snead are named partners in the firm.
- Firm wins a dozen appeals, including three in the Texas Supreme Court.
- Andrew Nelson coaches the South Texas School of Law moot court team to a national championship at the Burton Weschler First Amendment Moot Court Competition, in Washington, D.C.
- Firm is listed in Tier 1 of the 20th Edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” in the areas of Appellate Practice and Personal Injury Litigation—Defendants, by Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC).
- Wright & Close is named a finalist in Texas Lawyer magazine’s “Litigation Departments of the Year” feature in the category of “General Litigation.”
- Firm successfully persuades Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to uphold a $50M judgment in favor of our client in a trade secrets case.
- Tom Wright, Howard Close, Russ Hollenbeck, Randy Owens, and Tod Phillips are recognized by Law & Politics on its annual List of Texas Super Lawyers®.
- Tasha Taylor and Raffi Melkonian join the firm as associates.
- Firm moves into new offices at One Riverway, Suite 2200.
- In defense of patent infringement claims, the firm obtains a decision from the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals invalidating our opponent’s patent.
- Andrew Nelson and Andrea C. Geohegan join the firm as associates.
- Patrick McAndrew and Jessica Barger are named partners in the firm.
- Firm's lawyers win 6 appeals in first four months of the year.
- Firm wins complete defense verdict in defense of $60M breach of trust case.
- Tod Phillips is named a partner in the firm.
- Elizabeth Rivers joins the firm as an associate.
- Marie Jamison joins the firm as an associate.
- Governor Rick Perry appoints firm partner Harvey G. Brown to serve as Justice of the First Court of Appeals. Harvey is a brilliant lawyer and a good friend, and will be an outstanding appellate jurist.
- Randy Owens joins the firm as a Partner.
- Tom Wright argues last case of the year in the Texas Supreme Court.
- Portrait of former partner Harvey G. Brown, Jr. is hung in the 152nd Judicial District Court of Harris County, where he served as judge from 1995-2002.
- In the term ending July 2009, the Texas Supreme Court rules in favor of the firm’s clients in four out of four cases pending in that Court.
- Firm is named in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers by Martindale-Hubbell.