Tasha Taylor has distinguished herself as a coverage litigation and appellate specialist. Tasha handles insurance coverage and extra-contractual litigation involving a wide array of first- and third-party claims in Texas and nationwide. She advises her clients on resolving and managing complex claims arising out of a variety of policies, including commercial general liability, commercial auto, employer’s liability, control of well, director and officer’ liability, excess and umbrella liability, and various surplus lines policies. Tasha also maintains a general civil litigation practice in which she litigates cases involving personal injury, business torts, and other commercial disputes in both state and federal court.
As an appellate practitioner, she frequently handles appeals before Texas intermediate courts, the Supreme Court of Texas, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Additionally, Tasha appears in appellate courts in other jurisdictions, including successfully arguing to a California court of appeals about the application of an asbestos exclusion. She also assists trial counsel with all phases of trial preparation, including dispositive motions, jury charges, and post-verdict motions, and she often provides appellate assistance at trial. Tasha is well versed in Texas pre-trial practice, and she uses her skills to appeal interlocutory rulings via original proceedings or interlocutory appeal.
Tasha is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She has been selected for inclusion in the list of “Rising Stars” in appellate, insurance coverage, and general litigation every year since 2016, and she was recently included in the Best Lawyers in America for insurance litigation. Tasha also assisted in editing the 2019 Edition of New Appleman’s Texas Insurance Law Practice Guide.
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2018 – present
- Associate, Wright & Close, LLP, 2013 – 2018
- Associate, Edison, McDowell & Hetherington LLP, 2010 – 2013
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Briefing Attorney to Justice Jeffrey V. Brown, Fourteenth Court of Appeals, 2009-2010. Justice Brown now serves as the United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of Texas in the Galveston Division.
Publications & Presentations
- To Venue, and Beyond! A Review of Uniquely Texas Venue Statutes and Rules, The Advocate, Winter 2021, at 25-28.
- “Preparation and Preservation: Tackling the Jury Charge.” Houston Lawyer (September/October 2018).
- A Trial Lawyer’s Guide to Interlocutory Appeals and Mandamuses in Texas State Courts, The Advocate, Fall 2016, at 15–18.
- Understanding Insurance Coverage Issues, State Bar of Texas 32nd Annual Advanced Personal Injury Law Course Material, July 2016, at Chapter 4.
- “Understanding Insurance Coverage.” State Bar of Texas 32nd Annual Advanced Personal Injury Law Course (Dallas, Texas, July 2016)
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate, Insurance, and Litigation Sections)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate and Litigation Sections)
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, 2016 – present
- Best Lawyers in America® – Insurance Litigation – 2021
- Texas Tech School of Law Rising Star Award – 2021
- Texas Rising Stars® (publ. by Thompson Reuters) – 2016 to present