Russ has briefed and argued dozens of appeals, appearing before the Supreme Court of Texas, the Texas intermediate appellate courts, the Fifth and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He has assisted in or handled all phases of litigation in a wide variety of matters, including products liability, catastrophic personal injury, intellectual property, insurance coverage, employment discrimination, and commercial lawsuits. Before joining the firm, Russ served on an intermediate appellate court assisting its justices in preparing opinions in complex civil appeals and original proceedings.
Russ is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and has earned selection to Thomson Reuters’ list of Texas Super Lawyers® (2008 to present) in Appellate and Civil Litigation.
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2018 – present
- Partner Wright & Close, LLP, 2010 – 2017
- Partner, Wright Brown & Close, LLP, 2007 – 2010
- Associate, Wright Brown & Close, LLP, 2005 – 2007
- Staff Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 2001 – 2005
- Associate, Ramsey & Murray, PC, 1996 – 2001
- Briefing Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 1994 – 1996
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Presentations & Publications
- “One Lie Spoils a Thousand Truths: Trends and Questions in Spoliation Claims Since Brookshire Brothers.” State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course (2022).
- “To Tell the Truth: Ethics for Lawyers.” University of Texas 28th Annual Conference on State & Federal Appeals (June 2018).
- “Rulings on Evidentiary Objections.” Harris County Civil Judicial CLE Conference (August 2018).
- “The Ethics Apprentice.” University of Texas 27th Annual Conference on State & Federal Appeals (June 2017).
- “Prosecuting and Defending Claims Against Premises Owners.” Houston Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference (April 2017).
- “Ethics Jeopardy.” Houston Bar Association Appellate Section (July 2015).
- “Getting the Charge Right and Charge Error Preservation.” Texas Bar CLE 37th Advanced Civil Trial Course (October 2014).
- “Disqualification of Counsel.” Texas Bar CLE 37th Advanced Civil Trial Course (October 2014).
- “Appellate Jeopardy”; State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course (September 2010).
- “Hot Topics: Insurance,” State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course (September 2007).
- “Factual and Legal Sufficiency of the Evidence,” State Bar of Texas Civil Appellate Boot Camp (September 2006).
- “The Jury Charge,” South Texas College of Law “Civil Appeals for Trial Lawyers” Seminar (March 2005).
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Civil Appellate Exam Commission
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate Section)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section)
- The College of the State Bar of Texas
- Best Lawyers® (publ. by BL Rankings, LLC) – 2020
- Texas Super Lawyers® (publ. by Thompson Reuters) – 2008 to present