Michael’s practice focuses on appellate litigation at every phase of a lawsuit. Michael proudly represents clients on both sides of the docket and in a wide range of practice areas, from employment disputes to commercial litigation to personal injury. Michael has briefed cases in the United States Supreme Court and multiple state supreme courts, and he has also presented oral argument in both state and federal courts of appeal.
Prior to joining Wright Close & Barger, Michael worked as an associate at Berg & Androphy in Houston, where he cut his teeth as a trial lawyer representing government-fraud whistleblowers, commercial clients, and criminal defendants. Michael’s past experience as a trial lawyer is now carried over to his work as appellate counsel advising clients and trial counsel at all stages of a lawsuit.
Outside the office, Michael enjoys spending time with his wife, their young son, and their dog. He is a proud Houston native who also enjoys the eclectic food and culture his city has to offer.
- Associate, Wright Close & Barger, 2020 – present
- Associate, Berg & Androphy, 2018 – 2019
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Eva Guzman, Supreme Court of Texas, 2017 – 2018
- Law Clerk to the Hon. George P. Kazen, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2015 – 2017
Presentations & Publications
- Note, Counting the Right to Vote in the Next Census: Reviving Section Two of the Fourteenth Amendment, 94 Tex. L. Rev. 147 (2015).
- CLE Presentation – “Lessons Learned from My First Appeal: An HBA Young Lawyers Panel” (Oct. 2022).
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate Section; Individual Rights & Responsibilities Section)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate Section)
- American Constitution Society