Wanda Fowler was a Justice on the Fourteenth Court of Appeals for almost 14 years before joining Wright Close & Barger, LLP as a partner. While on the Court she authored approximately 1900 opinions and decided approximately 3,800 more cases. In 2001, the other members of the Court elected her Acting Chief Justice for five months pending an appointment of a new chief justice and, in 2003, the Houston Chapter of the Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists voted her Appellate Judge of the Year. She is a frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education Seminars. Before joining the Court, Ms. Fowler was a commercial litigator in private practice, and was in-house legal counsel for GTE Mobilnet.
Ms. Fowler is an American Arbitration Association (AAA) panelist and presides over arbitrations involving complex commercial disputes, insurance coverage matters, and construction cases. She has been appointed as a neutral or non-neutral arbitrator on a variety of matters. In addition, she has served as a mediator on a variety of litigation cases involving commercial transactions, energy law, insurance coverage, and personal injury claims.
Wanda has been included on the list of Best Lawyers in America® (2013-2017) in Appellate Law, and among “Texas’ Best Lawyers” (2013-2017), by Best Lawyers.
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2018 – present
- Partner, Wright & Close, LLP, 2010 – 2017
- Partner, Wright Brown & Close, LLP, 2008 – 2010
- Adjunct Professor in Appellate Advocacy, University of Houston Law Center, 2006-Present
- Justice, Fourteenth Court of Appeals, January 1995 to August 2008
- Fouts & Moore, LLP 1988-1994
- GTE Mobilnet 1986-1988
- Staff Attorney of First Court of Appeals, 1985-1986
- Gilpin Maynard Parsons Pohl & Bennett 1983-1985
- Briefing Attorney, Justice Arthur D. Dyess 1981-1983
- 2003 Appellate Judge of the Year, Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- American Leadership Forum, Class XXVI
- Certified in Appellate Jurisprudence by the Texas College for Judicial Studies, 2006
- University of Houston A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center’s Advanced Arbitration Course, 2016
- Chair, Houston Bar Association (Appellate Section) (2017).
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Fellow, Texas and Houston Bar Associations
- College of the State Bar
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, Choir, Board of Trustees
- Past member of the Curriculum Committee for the Texas Center for the Judiciary
- Former Chairwoman of the Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges