Raffi has broad experience in both trial and appellate matters nationwide. He has argued and briefed many cases in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and has a diverse amicus practice in the Circuit. He has also submitted briefs and argued cases in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the Federal Circuit, the Tenth Circuit, and in numerous intermediate state appellate courts throughout the United States. Further, he has been counsel of record on several petitions for certiorari to the United States Supreme Court, and has successfully opposed certiorari as counsel of record in other cases.
Raffi has also practiced as a commercial litigator, and in that role has assisted both in pre-trial litigation (including the successful drafting of dispositive motions) and in the litigation of trials in Federal and state courts—those cases have included securities fraud litigation, corporate governance litigation, antitrust class actions, products liability class actions, partnership disputes, and intellectual property litigation.
As a law clerk to the Fifth Circuit and to the Court of Chancery, Raffi assisted judges of those courts in analyzing legal issues in a wide range of civil trials and appeals. In addition, Raffi was selected by the Armenian Bar Association to present a seminar introducing the judiciary of the Republic of Armenia to the law of class actions in the summer of 2010.
Raffi tweets about appellate practice at @RMFifthcircuit. As Social Media Chair of the State Bar of Texas’s Appellate Practice Section, he helps administer the Section’s twitter account@TexAppOrg. Raffi speaks regularly at appellate CLEs in Texas, and he is also on the Board of the Houston Bar Association’s Federal Practice Section. He has recently been invited to moderate a discussion at the AJEI 2018 Appellate Judges’ Summit on the use of social media in law practice and judging.
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2018 – present
- Partner, Wright & Close, LLP 2016 – 2017
- Associate, Wright & Close, LLP 2013 – 2016
- Associate, Schlam, Stone & Dolan, LLP, 2011-2013
- Associate, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP 2006-2010
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jennifer W. Elrod, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2010-2011
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Stephen P. Lamb, Delaware Court of Chancery, 2005-2006
- Armenian Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas Appellate Section, Co-Chair of Social Media
- Member, Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court