Russ has extensive experience in both trial and appellate matters. In private practice, he has assisted in or handled all phases of litigation for a wide variety of clients involved in products liability, premises liability, personal injury, and commercial lawsuits in state and federal court. He has appeared and handled appeals before the various Texas courts of appeals, Texas Supreme Court, and the Fifth and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals. Prior to joining the firm, as an attorney for the court of appeals, he made recommendations to the court on the cases before it and assisted the judges in drafting opinions on a wide variety of complex civil appeals and original proceedings.
Russ has earned selection to Thomson Reuters’ list of Texas Super Lawyers (2008-2018) in Appellate and Civil Litigation, as published in Texas Monthly, and is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2018 – present
- Partner Wright & Close, LLP, 2010 – 2017
- Partner, Wright Brown & Close, LLP, 2007 – 2010
- Associate, Wright Brown & Close, LLP, 2005 – 2007
- Staff Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 2001 – 2005
- Associate, Ramsey & Murray, PC, 1996 – 2001
- Briefing Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 1994 – 1996
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Presentations & Publications
- “Prosecuting and Defending Claims Against Premises Owners.” Houston Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference (April 2017).
- "Ethics Jeopardy." Houston Bar Association Appellate Section (July 2015).
- "Getting the Charge Right and Charge Error Preservation." Texas Bar CLE 37th Advanced Civil Trial Course (October 2014).
- “Disqualification of Counsel.” Texas Bar CLE 37th Advanced Civil Trial Course (October 2014).
- "Appellate Jeopardy”; State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course (September 2010).
- “Hot Topics: Insurance,” State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course (September 2007).
- “Factual and Legal Sufficiency of the Evidence,” State Bar of Texas Civil Appellate Boot Camp (September 2006).
- “The Jury Charge,” South Texas College of Law “Civil Appeals for Trial Lawyers” Seminar (March 2005).
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate Section)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section)
- The College of the State Bar of Texas