Brian’s practice focuses on complex litigation and appeals. He has litigated and appealed a wide variety of claims for clients in the petroleum, transportation, insurance, and construction industries, including contractual, commercial tort, catastrophic personal injury, and wrongful death claims.
As an appellate advocate, Brian is frequently engaged to assist clients in the trial court with preparing dispositive motions, jury charges, post-verdict motions, and providing trial assistance. He also regularly prepares original proceedings to obtain mandamus relief and amicus briefs to express views on significant legal issues.
Brian clerked for the Fifth Circuit and the Texas Supreme Court. In those roles, he prepared memoranda to judges recommending disposition of cases; attended and occasionally presented recommendations at conferences among judges; and assisted with the drafting of dozens of published and unpublished opinions.
Brian has the distinction of having earned the highest score on the Texas Bar Exam in 2012.
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2019 – present
- Associate, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2017 – 2018
- Associate, Pierce & O’Neill, LLP, 2011 – 2015
- Associate, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, 2010 – 2011
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Carolyn Dineen King, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2016 – 2017
- Law Clerk to the Hon. John P. Devine, Supreme Court of Texas, 2015 – 2016
Presentations & Publications
- Trade Secret Protections: Energy Companies Need to Re-Evaluate Their Protocols, Oil & Gas Fin. J., Jan. 2014, at 42.
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation – 2022
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate & Oil and Gas sections)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate & Oil and Gas sections)
- Texas Rising Stars® (publ. by Thompson Reuters) – 2020 – 2022