Brian has broad experience in the trial and appellate processes. As a civil litigator, Brian has served clients in court and arbitration proceedings across multiple jurisdictions. He has also advised clients outside of court in anticipation of litigation.
The clients Brian has served range from individuals to Fortune 500 companies and include a number of independent oil and gas producers. The matters with which Brian has assisted clients is likewise diverse, spanning from ERISA to oil and gas (and many in between).
Brian’s litigation experience covers many facets of the midstream and upstream oil-and-gas market, including disputes relating to title, royalty calculation, exploration, operations/oilfield services, accounting, and a broad spectrum of oil-and-gas agreements (e.g., joint operating, purchase and/or sale, gathering and marketing agreements).
Prior to joining the firm, Brian clerked for the Fifth Circuit and the Texas Supreme Court. In those roles, Brian prepared memoranda to judges recommending disposition of cases; attended and occasionally presented recommendations at conferences among judges; and assisted with the drafting of dozens of published and unpublished opinions.
Brian has the distinction of having earned the highest score on the Texas Bar Exam in 2012.
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Associate, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2018 – present
- Associate, Wright & Close, LLP 2017
- Associate, Pierce & O’Neill, LLP 2011 – 2015
- Associate, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP 2010 – 2011
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Carolyn Dineen King, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2016 – 2017
- Law Clerk to the Hon. John P. Devine, Supreme Court of Texas, 2015 – 2016
Presentations & Publications
- Trade Secret Protections: Energy Companies Need to Re-Evaluate Their Protocols, Oil & Gas Fin. J., Jan. 2014, at 42.
- State Bar of Texas (Oil and Gas section)