- Eleven appellate and trial lawyers with Wright Close & Barger were chosen for the Best Lawyers in America guide for 2020, and the firm had more appellate honorees than any other firm in Houston. To learn more, click here.
- Wright Close & Barger was named the Top Appellate Firm in Texas for 2019. To learn why, click here.
- Texas Lawyer announced the winners of its 2019 Professional Excellence Awards, and Wright Close & Barger won Appellate Firm of the Year.
- Wright Close & Barger partner Raffi Melkonian was quoted by Law360 and Texas Lawyer regarding the Affordable Care Act appellate case. To learn more, click here.
- Wright Close & Barger Wins 9-0 US Supreme Court Decision.To learn more, click here.
- Wright Close & Barger Partner Wanda McKee Fowler, an AAA arbitrator and former judge, spoke with the Houston Chronicle about mediation. To learn more, click here.
- June 6 - Law360's Weekly Verdict listed Wright Close & Barger at the top of its Legal Lions column.
- Wright Close & Barger won a unanimous decision from the U.S. Supreme Court in a significant employment discrimination case. To learn more, Click here.
- BTI Consulting names WCB to its 2019 list of “Client All Stars.” BTI compiles its list by interviewing in-house counsel for companies with revenues of at least $1B. This list traditionally includes the largest national law firms. WCB is honored to be included as one of only a very few smaller firms. The full list is located here: https://www.bticonsulting.com/all-law-firms-ranked-a-team-2019
- Wright Close & Barger Promotes Brian Cathey, Andrew Nelson to Partner. Click here to learn more.
- Houston-based Wright Close & Barger LLP has earned the recognition of U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC) as one of the top appellate and civil litigation firms in the country. This marks the fifth time the firm has been named to this annual list. Click here to learn more
- We are now Wright Close & Barger, adding partner Jessica Barger to our firm name. Click here to learn more. Media outlets take note of this name change. Click here to learn more.
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC) recognize us as among the best law firms in the country for our appellate work. Click here to learn more. Several of our lawyers are also recognized for their trial and appellate skills. Click here to learn more.
- Texas Super Lawyers® annual guide (published by Thomson Reuters) recognizes our attorneys for litigation, appellate and estate & trust litigation. Click here to learn more. Two of our appellate lawyers also earn Texas Rising Star honors. Click here to learn more.
- Our team wins $17 million reversal of jury verdict for contractor in Baylor bridge case. Click here to learn more.
- Brittany Greger, Art Aguilar, and Jonathan Lerhmann join our team as associates.
- For the fourth year in a row, our team secures wins for our clients in at least ten appellate decisions.
- The American Law Institute elects founding partner, Tom Wright, to its membership.
- Texas Super Lawyers® (published by Thomson Reuters) names seven of our attorneys to the 2017 list. Click hereto learn more.
- Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC) names us a “Tier 1” law firm in the categories of Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation–Defense, and Appellate Practice.
- Brian Cathey joins us as an associate, adding to our deep bench of talent.
- Our lawyers secure take-nothing judgment for insurance company clients when the Texas Supreme Court refuses to rehear a case. Click here to learn more.
- An appeals court win by our team remains intact and drastically reduces a jury award, saving our client about $2 million in a train derailment dispute. – click here to learn more.
- The firm secures take-nothing judgments after the Texas Supreme Court denies review in two of our firm’s cases, including one involving $22 million in damages. –click here to read more.
- The firm kicks off 2017 with another win in the Texas Supreme Court – in UDR Texas Properties v. Petrie– affirming protections for property owners from claims involving criminal activity on their premises. See the Our Appeals page for details.
- Tom Wright is quoted in Law360 about Texas legal fees legislation that would expand recoverable attorneys’ fees in commercial disputes. He is quoted in “Texas Bill May Fix Cos.' Unequal Footing In Atty Fee Fights” (subscription required).
- W&C closes out 2016 with two favorable decisions from the Texas Supreme Court – in Byrdson Services v. SETRPC and in 4Front v. Rosales – issued on the same day. See the Our Appeals page for details.
- W&C’s attorneys start off the summer with back-to-back wins in the Texas Supreme Court – in Centerpoint Builders v. Trussway and In re J.B. Hunt – followed up with a win in the 4th Court of Appeals reversing a $9.5 million judgment against our client. Check out the Our Appeals page for details.
- W&C partners Howard Close and Patrick McAndrew successfully represented a power company in a “baseball” arbitration concerning the sale of a $250 million power generation plant, in which our opponents sought damages of $125 million. After a one-week proceeding, the arbitration panel chose our side’s proffered damage figure, and found our opponents were entitled to recovery from our client of only one percent of the damages claimed.
- W&C partners Howard Close, Randy Owens, and Brad Snead successfully represented royalty interest owners in a large carbon dioxide fields in Colorado, in a lawsuit against ExxonMobil (the working interest owner). After a one-week trial, the jury found ExxonMobil breached its duty of good faith and fair dealing by selling the CO2 at an artificially low price over several years. This litigation will have a beneficial impact for royalty interest owners in this field going forward.
- H Texas magazine names Tom Wright, Howard Close, Jessica Barger, Randy Owens, and Marie Jamison as outstanding Houston attorneys.
- Firm wins reversal of $22 million judgment and a take-nothing judgment for its client in an appeal of an oilfield accident case.
- Martindale-Hubbell names Randall Owens a “Top Rated Lawyer” in the field of Labor & Employment Law.
- Firm partner Raffi Melkonian is interviewed by Boston radio station WEEI (93.7FM) about the 2nd Circuit decision in the National Football League’s appeal from the reversal of Tom Brady’s suspension. Here’s the link: http://media.weei.com/a/114858579/federal-appellate-lawyer-raffi-melkonian-give-his-expert-analysis-on-2nd-circuit-court-s-decision-4-25-16.htm
- Justin Campbell and Suzanne Goss join the firm as Of Counsel. Ken Fair joins the firm as a Partner.
- For the third year in a row, Firm named a “Tier 1 Best Law Firm” in the categories of Personal Injury Defense and Appellate Practice by Best Law Firms® (published by BL Rankings, LLC).
- Firm wins a dozen appeals in the first eight months of the year.
- Tasha Taylor and Raffi Melkonian are recognized by Law & Politics on its annual list of Texas Rising Stars®.
- Howard Close, Russ Hollenbeck, Randy Owens, and Tod Phillips are recognized as Texas Super Lawyers® – and Tom Wright is included as one of the Top 100 attorneys in Texas – on Law & Politics’ annual list, published by Thomson Reuters.
- Lisa Wright joins the firm as an associate.
- Firm again named as a Tier 1 “Best Law Firm” in categories of Personal Injury Defense and Appellate Practice, by Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC).
- Marie Jamison and Brad Snead are named partners in the firm.
- Firm wins a dozen appeals, including three in the Texas Supreme Court.
- Andrew Nelson coaches the South Texas School of Law moot court team to a national championship at the Burton Weschler First Amendment Moot Court Competition, in Washington, D.C.
- Firm is listed in Tier 1 of the 20th Edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” in the areas of Appellate Practice and Personal Injury Litigation—Defendants, by Best Lawyers in America® (published by BL Rankings, LLC).
- Wright & Close is named a finalist in Texas Lawyer magazine’s “Litigation Departments of the Year” feature in the category of “General Litigation.” Read Article Here.
- Firm successfully persuades Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to uphold a $50M judgment in favor of our client in a trade secrets case.
- Tom Wright, Howard Close, Russ Hollenbeck, Randy Owens, and Tod Phillips are recognized by Law & Politics on its annual List of Texas Super Lawyers®.
- Kathleen Rose is elected President-Elect of the Houston Bar Association Federal Practice Section.
- Natasha Taylor and Raffi Melkonian join the firm as associates.
- Firm moves into new offices at One Riverway, Suite 2200.
- In defense of patent infringement claims, the firm obtains a decision from the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals invalidating our opponent’s patent.
- Andrew Nelson and Andrea C. Geohegan join the firm as associates.
- Patrick McAndrew and Jessica Barger are named partners in the firm.
- Firm's lawyers win 6 appeals in first four months of the year.
- Firm wins complete defense verdict in defense of $60M breach of trust case.
- Jessica Barger is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Appellate law.
- Tod Phillips is named a partner in the firm.
- Patrick McAndrew named a "Rising Star" in Business Litigation section of the annual list of Texas Super Lawyers® (published by Thomson Reuters).
- Elizabeth Rivers joins the firm as an associate.
- Marie Jamison joins the firm as an associate.
- Governor Rick Perry appoints firm partner Harvey G. Brown to serve as Justice of the First Court of Appeals. Harvey is a brilliant lawyer and a good friend, and will be an outstanding appellate jurist.
- Randy Owens joins the firm as a Partner.
- Tom Wright argues last case of the year in the Texas Supreme Court.
- Portrait of Harvey G. Brown, Jr. is hung in the 152nd Judicial District Court of Harris County, where he served as judge from 1995-2002.
- In the term ending July 2009, the Texas Supreme Court rules in favor of the firm’s clients in four out of four cases pending in that Court.
- Firm is named in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers by Martindale-Hubbell.