Shelley is an appellate specialist. She has obtained favorable results for firm clients in appeals involving personal injury, premises liability, products liability, oil and gas, trade secrets, and other commercial disputes in Texas, Mississippi, and Indiana. Shelley often serves as part of a trial team, assisting with error preservation, the court’s charge, and post-trial motion practice. As a former mandamus attorney for an intermediate appellate court, Shelley has extensive experience handling original proceedings, having made recommendations and assisted the court in its disposition of nearly 100 mandamus petitions. Recently, as an Assistant Attorney General, Shelley represented the State of Alaska before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in civil rights litigation and the Alaska courts in appeals involving securities regulations, campaign finance, and professional license revocations.
- Partner, Wright Close & Barger, LLP, 2019 – Present
- Staff Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 2018 – 2019
- Assistant Attorney General, State of Alaska, 2017 – 2018
- Associate and Partner, Wright & Close, LLP, 2013 – 2017
- Mandamus and Staff Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 2010 – 2013
- Associate, Wright Brown & Close, LLP, 2007 – 2010
- Briefing Attorney, First Court of Appeals, 2006 – 2007
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate Section)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section)
- Recent Evolutions in Texas Law on Spoliation of Evidence, The Houston Lawyer (April 2015). Awarded Houston Bar Foundation prize for “Outstanding Legal Article.”
- A Critique of Texas Rule of Appellate Procedure 25.1, published at 57 Baylor L. Rev. 937 (2005).