Michael has broad experience with both trials and appeals.
Prior to joining Wright Close & Barger, Michael worked as an associate at Berg & Androphy in Houston. At Berg & Androphy, Michael represented whistleblowers of government fraud, commercial clients, and a variety of criminal defendants. Michael went to trial with Berg & Androphy on three occasions, where he served as the trial-level appellate counsel in addition to other roles. Michael also represented clients on multiple appeals, including a False Claims Act case where he presented oral argument in the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Additionally, Michael clerked for the Supreme Court of Texas and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. In those roles, Michael prepared memoranda to judges recommending disposition of cases, assisted with conferences among judges, and aided in drafting both published and unpublished opinions.
- Associate, Wright Close & Barger, 2020 – Present
- Associate, Berg & Androphy, 2018 – 2019
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Eva Guzman, Supreme Court of Texas, 2017 – 2018
- Law Clerk to the Hon. George P. Kazen, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2015 – 2017
Presentations & Publications
- Note, Counting the Right to Vote in the Next Census: Reviving Section Two of the Fourteenth Amendment, 94 Tex. L. Rev. 147 (2015).
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate Section; Individual Rights & Responsibilities Section)
- Houston Bar Association (Appellate Section)
- American Constitution Society